Friday, February 5, 2016

424. Germ Free Adolescents

Germ Free Adolescents
X-Ray Spex
1978














Tracks
1. Art I Ficial
2. Obsessed With You
3. Warrior In Woolworths Back
4. Let's Submerge
5. I Can't Do Anything
6. Identity
7. Genetic Engineering
8. I Live Off You
9. I Am A Poseur
10. Germ Free Adolescents
11. Plastic Bag
12. Day The World Turned Dayglo


I remember my British Subcultures professor playing us a song by X-Ray Spex, much to the general horror of my class.  He wanted to point out that the band was special (in the context of punk) because they featured a female vocalist and included saxophone numbers.  Well, fair enough and I always appreciate a little more female representation.  I also enjoyed the inclusion of the saxophone, but ultimately, I still disliked this album.

Once again, it's same old, same old as far the lyrical album goes.  We are a product, the world is commodified, blah blah blah.  I also absolutely hated the vocals, which resembled screaming a lot more than singing.  I sound like such an old person when I say that.

I know we got a brief break from punk with Chic, but I am already ready for another one.

RATING: 2/5

1 comment:

  1. I thought it sounded like screaming, too. I didn't like it. Good, honest review!

    ReplyDelete