Tuesday, September 27, 2011

55. Rubber Soul

Rubber Soul
The Beatles of course!
1965

Tracks
1. Drive My Car
2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
3. You Won't See Me
4. Nowhere Man
5. Think For Yourself
6. Word
7. Michelle
8. What Goes On
9. Girl
10. I'm Looking Through You
11. In My Life
12. Wait
13. If I Needed Someone
14. Run For Your Life


Amanda: Although I like The Beatles in any manifestation in which they appear, I realize everyone doesn't.  If you think The Beatles are too poppy or shallow, this album is for you.  This is probably my favorite album of theirs after A Hard Day's Night (although it may even beat that).  The harmonizing is excellent and the songs have a lot more depth.  My favorite is probably "Norwegian Wood" though really, there is not a bad track in the entire album.  The song "Girl" protests the actions of the Catholic Church and who doesn't love that?  If you will look to your right, you will see a poll.  After listening to this album, you will be inclined to choose The Beatles.  Go with this instinct.  We are 50/50 right now and Brie and I aren't voting.  We must beat Bob Dylan!!!!

RATING:

Brie: This is my favorite Beatles album so far. Starting with this album, the Beatles started getting much better, in my opinion. I think we have all heard "Drive My Car" a hundred times, so that wasn't anything special. I really liked "Norwegian Wood" a lot; was that a mandolin I heard? If so, a big thumbs up to you, Beatles. I approve. I know covers are never as good as the original song, but in this case I like The Wallflowers' version of "I'm Looking Through You" way better. Give it a listen! I do think it is one of Paul's masterpieces, though. Overall, excellent job by the Beatles!

"Girl" makes me lean towards John as my favorite Beatle. My stand-by is George, though. I like his solo work the best.

So, who is everyone's favorite Beatle? We'd love to hear your comments!!!

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Come for the songs, stay for the tambourine. Plus maracas, organs, fuzz bass, etc., and more piano and acoustic guitar than before. Each track is either a great song or full of interesting sounds, or both. The vocal harmonies are also more adventurous.
    Standout track: "Drive My Car"

    ReplyDelete