Saturday, September 17, 2011

45. A Girl Called Dusty

A Girl Called Dusty
Dusty Springfield
1964

Amanda: Surprisingly enough, I don't think I had ever heard a Dusty Springfield song before this.  I have heard "Mama Said" by the Shirelles and "You Don't Own Me" by Leslie Gore (and of course Goldie Hawn, Diane Keaton, and Bette Midler) but I had never heard her rendtions.  She also sang a song from The Sound of Music.  This album wasn't boring, however, because none of songs were cliches or tiresome.  I love her voice (and her name!).  My favorite track was "When the Love Light Starts Shining Through His Eyes," even though I think that is a ridiculously long name for a track.

RATING:

Check out our new blog located on our blog roll, non-existent readers!

Brie: I've heard a few Dusty Springfield songs before this, but I didn't have a good appreciation for her until hearing this album. Her voice is one of the best female soul voices I've heard yet. All of the songs on this album were so fun and cheery to listen to! My favorites include "Wishin' and Hopin'", and "Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa". Also, if you look up some of these songs on YouTube, specifically "Mockingbird" and watch the live version you will see that Dusty was such a delight to see perform. Definitely one of my new faves!


RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Many great singing performances. The double tracked vocals on "Mockingbird" are interesting. For me, Dusty is better than anything else about the album. The songs are good, but too many covers which I'd heard before by other artists. Some of the production sounds dated and too much strings. Still a very good album, though. Worth hearing more than once but I would skip a few tracks.
    Standout track: "Do Re Mi"

    ReplyDelete