Sunday, September 18, 2011

46. Rolling Stones (England's Newest Hitmakers)

Rolling Stones (England's Newest Hitmaker's)
Rolling Stones
1964

Amanda: I was really excited by this album because I have been told that I would really love The Rolling Stones, particularly because they were often compared to The Beatles.  However, I wasn't really impressed.  I kind of built them up in my mind a lot, and they certainly did not reach my expectations.  They really only covered other people's songs, so it wasn't very orginal.  Jagger has always freaked me out (especially in that infamous music video with Bowie) but even his personality didn't shine through.  I think I will have to wait for the later albums to give a real opinion.  This was so...underwhelming.

RATING:

Brie: I expected greatness from the Rolling Stones. Concur, Amanda, it was underwhelming for sure. In the live videos of the Stones performing these songs in '64 (the year this came out), they were so goody two shoes boy band-esque. Like early pop star Beatles. Ugh. No substance. This album was quite mindless, and the only song I can say I liked was "Not Fade Away". And that is just because it reminded me of the Crickets. But I look forward to later Rolling Stones albums when they find their own musical voice.

RATING:

3 comments:

  1. This must be one of those Albums from that period that either just had a different name in the US from that in the UK ..(well, it would wouldn't it), or, as with some early Beatles, totally different albums with tracks from other ones .. So I'm not sure which one this is.
    To my own surprise, and slight disappointment, I prefer the Stones to the Beatles. I shouldn't .. the overly male, testosterone overload, sexist swagger of Jagger is decidedly not my stuff .. but there you go. It's the stronger blues influence in the Stones I go for ..
    Seen them live as well. If I do more replies to Album blog, you mayrapidly get fed up with that comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really bizarre! I would have thought Beatles fan all the way! Are there any Beatles songs you like?

      Delete
  2. This is a pretty good set of songs, in a musical style I'd never heard from the Rolling Stones. It's an interesting blues experience and glad I heard it once. I might listen to some of this again when I'm able to play it louder.
    Standout track: "Route 66"

    ReplyDelete