Monday, September 26, 2011

52. The Beach Boys Today!

The Beach Boys Today!
The Beach Boys
1965

Amanda: My sister has a bunch of Beach Boy songs on her iPod and she would used to play them when we would play pool.  Of course, if you have heard one of their songs you have heard them all.  After listening to them for a couple hours, I wanted to smash her iPod.  However, in small doses they are quite enjoyable.  This is probably the best album of theirs that I have heard.  My brother sings "Don't Hurt My Little Sister!" to people all the time(right Mike?) and "Help Me, Ronda" is classic.  They really like their false starts, don't they?  The book (which I will give back to you Saturday, Brie) said that the worst track so far is in this album.  They are referring to the Bull Session. All I can say is, I laughed a lot.  The worst track is and always will be "Knoxville Girl"!!!!!
RATING:


Brie: I just keep picturing sunsets and breezy beaches. A couple of these songs are okay, but I could only listen to them every once in a long, long while. My favorites were "Do You Wanna Dance?" because it reminds me of childhood days spent at the pool, and "She Knows Me Too Well" because it shows a more sensitive, serious side to the Beach Boys. Does anyone else have it in their mind that the Beach Boys only sing in tropical locations? I feel like they wouldn't be able to survive in other climates.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Brian Wilson sure grows up as a songwriter on this album. Half the songs here really impressed me. It was actually the dancier numbers that didn't do much for me - though "Do You Wanna Dance" has the wall of sound happening, which is interesting.
    Standout track: "She Knows Me Too Well"

    ReplyDelete