Thursday, September 8, 2011

42. A Hard Day's Night

A Hard Day's Night
The Beatles
1964

Amanda: First of all, I would just like to say to Brie that I was hysterical when I read your Christmas post. 

So I am sitting in my room, writing about The Beatles and watching The Goodbye Girl (shut up!; it's quality!).  I am having dinner with my brother today as well, so I would say I am in a pretty good mood.  The Beatles are the best artists of all time.  I mentioned before that I had seen the actual movie A Hard Day's Night.  That is a quality film, and it really goes with the theme of the album.  You also really get to know each member which is really exciting.

Now, you will hear some people say that these songs are overdone.  Most people, however, can't recite the lyrics so suck it!  Since the Beatles are so famous, everyone has a story for each song, which makes it timeless.  For instance, "Can't Buy Me Love" reminds me of the Patrick Dempsey movie, which reminds me of movie nights with my sister.  Love it!

RATING:

Brie: I sort of cringed away from the over played songs like "A Hard Days Night" and "Can't Buy Me Love". Everybody. Stop. Playing. Those. Songs. "I Should Have Known Better" and "Any Time At All" are so much better!!! This is a huge improvement from "With The Beatles", but still nothing compared to their later work (Abbey Road, anybody?) As with the last Beatles album, I just liked it.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. I didn't feel the energy as much as With The Beatles, which felt more like a live performance. I guess I'm overly familiar with the songs, but I found side 1 dull after the first track. Side 2 is interesting as a showcase for the singing and songwriting of John Lennon, plus one good Paul song. To me they're very good songs and can't imagine why they wouldn't make it onto the US version of the album.
    It seems wrong to include this instead of Help - which is a leap forward, and also has two of the better songs that would appear on the US version of Rubber Soul.
    Standout track: "A Hard Day's Night"

    ReplyDelete