Monday, September 26, 2011

51. Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul

Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul
Otis Redding
1965

Amanda: I almost cried when I heard this album.  Otis Redding died in a plane crash (why does this keep happening?; good singers should just avoid planes) shortly after this was released.  I know this review is starting like a rave, but I didn't love this album.  He reminded me of Sam Cooke which I always enjoy.  It felt like the kind of music that is always playing at the end of school dance in movies.  I can see brightening up if this was playing, but I didn't love it enough to put on my iPod.  Not that I could if I wanted to.  This project has got me spending so much on iTunes that I used up my gift cards.  Now I will have to put a credit card on.  Sigh...

RATING:

Nothing beats "My Girl" or "Wonderful World".

Brie: As Amanda said, Otis Redding died in a plane crash shortly after this album was released. Learning this was a huge hit. First Buddy Holly, now this!?! *Sigh* I really, really liked this. Probably because Sam Cooke was Redding's mentor. I really loved "Respect" and the cover of the Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction". Listening to this album, knowing Redding's tragic fate puts knots in my stomach. Which, in my opinion, is what good music should do. From start to finish, a quality album that I can't wait to listen to again.

RATING:

By the way, I completely agree about the school dance thing. Not that either of us would know about that. We just know what we have observed from movies.

1 comment:

  1. This is some of the best singing I've ever heard, and the musicianship is also impressive. Covers include some overdone songs which should have been painful to hear again, but somehow they make it enjoyable. The vibe is so good.
    Standout track: "Down In The Valley"

    ReplyDelete