Thursday, September 8, 2011

41. Getz/Gilberto

Getz/Gilberto
Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto
1963

Amanda: So today was a rather ordinary day.  One of those days when nothing really bad happens but nothing good happens either which always leaves me feeling weird.  After having this day, I expected this album to make me go "meh!"  However, I was pleasantly surprised.  The music makes me want to speak Portugese, dance, and play instruments.  I can do none of the above, so I had to content myself by just giving this album a really good listen.  If this was a purely instrumental album, it would have been pleasing but since the two artists were quietly singing Portugese to you, it really came together and left me wanting more.  So ordinary day, extraordinary album (yes, I know that is lame but let it pass; it is only Tuesday).

RATING:

Brie: I am shocked. I never thought I'd see the day when Amanda liked a jazz album. (Is this considered jazz? Lounge?) I really liked the album (but I knew I would). I have always loved the song "Girl from Ipanema" and the rest of the album was just so pleasant to listen to. Even though I can't understand what they are saying, this was still one of the most enjoyable jazz albums so far for me. The songs are quite beachy in a way. I also really liked the female vocals on "Girl From "Ipanema". Lovely chanteuse.

RATING:

3 comments:

  1. Once again an album I am not familiar with, but I have some Getz .. I adore 'Girl from Ipanema'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I have completely forgotten about this album.

      Delete
  2. The vocals are too low key for my taste, and the same for the guitar. But I suppose that's the genre, it is what it is. Stan Getz on saxophone saves this from being a snoozer, for me. I'm glad they elected to do a couple of upbeat and edgier numbers - in the manner of the Jazz Samba album, which I liked better than this one.
    Standout Track: "Só Danço Samba"

    ReplyDelete