Sunday, September 18, 2011

47. I've Got a Tiger by the Tail

I've Got a Tiger by the Tail
Buck Owens and the Buckaroos (quick quiz, will Amanda like this?)
1965

Amanda: This album kind of made me cringe.

There is some country that I like, believe it or not.  I love stories (if all you nonexistent followers out there read my blogs you know that).  Songs that tell stories are common in the country genre and whenever I hear a song like that, I immediately sit docilely and listen.  These songs didn't really tell any kind of story.  I mean, his name is Buck Owens so you know it is very hicky.  I know I am kind of snobby but I gave it a chance!  I think it got a lot better towards the end (I am not preparing you for a smart-ass pun, I really did like the end songs).  I actually liked "Let the Sad Times Roll."  I think this one of those things you have to be in the mood for.  Like Milky Way bars.  Maybe if I was taking a road trip through Alabama it would have been cool.  Just not my type.

RATING:

Brie: "These are all story songs, come on now." - a very, very high Bob Dylan, in concert, 1966. Kidding, these weren't story songs. I do like some country, like Johnny Cash. But not in abundance. I just find most country musician's voices to be kind of whiny and ear piercing. There are exceptions, of course. The only songs I liked on this album were "Let the Good Times Roll" and "Memphis". I promise I will review some country albums favorably in the future. I am more of an alternative country/ country-rock fan. The songs were just too country for me. "That's all I have to say about that." - Forrest Gump.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Pleasant enough to hear once, nothing too exciting. Could have used more fiddle. You can't go wrong with fiddle.
    Standout track: "Wham Bam"

    ReplyDelete