Friday, September 2, 2011

33. Jazz Samba

Jazz Samba
Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd
1962

Amanda: The title is interesting enough.  Unfortunately, the album is not.  Now, please do not think this is just my dislike of instrumental tracks showing through.  This album, for lack of a better word, had no pizzazz.  "Jazz Samba" makes it seem like you will want to dance and learn Portugese at the same time (which is not an easy task).  Instead, it just kind of makes you lethargic.  The instruments are played skillfully enough but like I said: lackadaisical.  Are you here yet Beatles???

RATING:

Sorry this post is so short but that album did not inspire me to get off my ass let alone write lengthy paragraphs.

Brie: I liked this album a tad better than Amanda did, but not much better. I thought the guitar was very beautiful, but the music lacked the Portugese lyrics. Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd weren't Brazilian, were they? This album to me is a gray tribute album to Brazilian music compared to the vibrant colors of true Brazilian tunes. So, it was a good album, but when it comes down to it: why listen to an album that is a tribute to Portugese/Brazilian music when you could listen to the real thing?

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. This is something I would never bring myself to listen to without going through this list. And I found it to be quite good. The music is a bit sparse in parts for my liking, but these guys are great musicians. A few of the tracks on here impressed me: they jazzed up the samba - hence the album's name. And the rest were at least pleasant. (It helps to be a fan of the saxophone.)
    Standout track: "Samba De Uma Mota Só"

    ReplyDelete