Tuesday, September 6, 2011

38. Live at the Harlem Square Club

Live at the Harlem Square Club
Sam Cooke
1963

Amanda: I love Sam Cooke and this affection was pre 1001 album quest.  I first heard him in Hitch (Wonderful World) and since then have gone on to adore Another Saturday Night.  However, I have never listened to one of his albums before now.  This was a great treat and I usually don't like live albums.  However, he was incredibly charming and he has a wonderful, comforting voice.  The songs are also pleasant and catchy.  Nothing about him is deep, but he doesn't have to be!  He's Sam Cooke.  The definite highlight is Chain Gang.  Also, Sam Cooke got shot by a motel manager after a struggle.  His last words were "lady, you shot me!".  I have read about this story several times and it always seems like it wasn't his fault.  Oh well, still love him.

RATING:

Brie: I've heard that Sam Cooke is the most important artist in the history of soul music. I understand why now. "Feel It" set the bar high for the rest of the album, and Sam Cooke didn't disappoint. "Chain Gang" might just be my new favorite song. It is probably one of the best songs of all time. I think I like this album better than "Muddy Waters At Newport" when comparing the live albums we have listened to so far. I also really love how Cooke gets the audience involved by having conversations with them in between songs.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. These tracks are better mixed on the box set, The Man Who Invented Soul. The band which is very good can now be heard much more clearly, and Sam Cooke's vocals are also better. He seems to be possessed. It's hard to imagine a live performance can get much better than this.
    Standout track: "Somebody Have Mercy"

    ReplyDelete