Tuesday, September 13, 2011

44. Rock n Soul

Rock n Soul
Solomon Burke
1964

Amanda: I haven't done an album in the last two days because I have been out of town visiting my sister and attending a wedding.  Of course, at the wedding I was only one of seven single women (two girls under nine, my sister, my aunt, and two bridesmaids).  There then was the degrading "catch the bouquet" activity and I just let it fall to the ground much to the chagrin of the photographers, onlookers, and probably the bride.  My marital future is not promising.

This is one of those albums that is mixed with familar songs and pleasant new ones.  I heard "Cry to Me" of course, but the version I always heard was from The Four Seasons.  Brie, which version was the one in Dirty Dancing?  Anyways, this album is really Sam Cooke-y and really nice.  Not very interesting, but nice.

RATING:

This guy had twenty-one kids!  I bet he caught a bouquet!

Brie: I agree that it was tres Sam Cooke. But Sam Cooke is WAY better. "Rock 'n' Soul" has the Cooke feel with a bit of a Bobby Vee/Crickets vibe on some of the songs. "Cry to Me" definitely was the highlight, and the rest kind of blurred together. I wouldn't listen to it again. I have a lot of work to do, so this review is like the album. Short, sweet, and to the point.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. This album is very strong in every area: songs, singing, playing - all great. The backing vocals may be retro but I still find them pretty cool. This doesn't seem to appear on any other lists, making it a lost classic.
    Standout track: "Cry To Me"

    ReplyDelete