Sunday, September 18, 2011

49. Here are the Sonics

Here are the Sonics
The Sonics
1965

Amanda: When I first listened to this album, I felt a bit hysterical and confused.  It certainly takes some getting used to.  First of all, I wouldn't even say that they are remotely good at singing.  It is more like screeching and yelling.  But they really don't need to be good, because that is what makes their sound so unique.  I actually enjoyed their covers more than the songs they wrote because then I got to hear the different twists they put on each classic song.  This definitely wasn't like anything I have ever heard before (maybe Little Richard comes close).

RATING:

I hate "The Village Idiot".

Brie: Ah, the Sonics. So ahead of their time with their garage punk sound. Love them. Their versions of those songs we have heard a hundred times are my favorite by far ("Good Golly Miss Molly", "Do You Love Me", "Roll Over Beethoven"). They were so rebellious. I really loved all of the songs up until the random Christmas tunes at the end. What was that about? And "The Village Idiot"??? I guess it was one of those 'you had to be there' moments. It was great to get a change of pace with the Sonics. We are having a nice stretch of albums here that aren't all one genre! Thank you 1001 Albums book!!!

RATING:

2 comments:

  1. As noted in the book, the Sonics may not be great musicians but they have this weird magic to their sound. It just works. And still unique sounding today. The original songs are great, including the bonus track "Santa Claus". And the covers are very good too, they make them their own. Recording quality is ragged but it suits their sound.
    Standout track: "Strychnine"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psycho is their best track.
    Village Idiot and the Christmas songs are bonus tracks - weren't on original 60s record.

    ReplyDelete