Thursday, September 1, 2011

32. The Green Onions

The Green Onions
Booker T. and the M.G.s
1962

Amanda: This album is filled with tracks that sound kind of familar to you but you can't place where you heard it or who wrote it.  It was actually pretty satisfying matching names of songs to the distant memories.  In the early sixties, it was mostly vocal albums that were topping the charts.  However, when this album came out it was a massive hit.  I played this when my sister and my mother were cooking for one of those rare family reunions that we have.  They both really liked it (though they thought I was making up the album and band name).  I personally liked it though it was not very exciting.  I will probably forget about it in about a week.

RATING:

Brie: I really loved this album. You can hear that is heavily influenced by Jimmy Smith (who we just reviewed.) This music, specifically "Green Onions" really makes me want to put on my black fedora and just and listen to "The Green Onions". Just listening to it makes you feel cool!!!

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. This band is killer, great players and very cohesive together. The guitar player especially deserves a lot of credit. The hammond organ still isn't my favorite lead instrument, but I like it better than a few days ago. Strong selection of songs too. Best album on this list in a while.
    Standout track: "I Got A Woman"

    ReplyDelete