Tuesday, September 27, 2011

54. Live at the Regal

Live at the Regal
B.B. King
1965

Tracks
1. Everyday I Have The Blues
2. Sweet Little Angel
3. It's My Own Fault
4. How Blue Can You Get
5. Please Love Me
6. You Upset Me Baby
7. Worry Worry
8. Woke Up This Mornin'
9. You Done Lost Your Good Thing Now
10. Help The Poor


Amanda: Today has been such an ordinary day for me (besides a brief embarrassing moment concerning a joke that did NOT land).  This album fits in perfectly because it was so...meh.

B.B. King tells short stories before each song which was probably my favorite parts of the album.  The instruments aren't handled with much dexterity and the lyrics are forgettable and unorginal.  I mean, it was pleasant but I don't think it was worthy to be in a 1001 Album book.  Apparently, a lot of people think this.  I have never heard of any B.B. King fans.

RATING:

Brie: I thought your joke was funny. Anyway, I agree. As great as the guitars or vocals might be, the album was just forgettable and so... commonplace. B.B. King was a pretty good live performer, I guess, because judging from the reactions of the audience he knew how to get people excited about his music. As Amanda mentioned, he did tell clever little stories in between songs sometimes, but other than that I can't really mention any highlights.

I thought this fact was interesting: B.B. King grew up in a town without electricity, yet he learned how to play the electric guitar.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if this is blues or jazz but I sure liked it a lot, especially the first four songs. Maybe it's my fondness for saxophone and piano, but these guys play great. Throw in a bit of trumpet, even better. Excellent vocals from King too - mostly, though his falsetto creeped me out.
    Standout track: "Sweet Little Angel"

    ReplyDelete