Friday, September 2, 2011

35. With the Beatles

With the Beatles
The Beatles
1963

Amanda: So yesterday was the first day in quite awhile that I didn't review an album (Brie reviews them more sporadically which is why the dates don't match up).  This was because I was experienced the second worst day of my life.  My sister moved, I tripped and fell flat on my face, embarrassed myself a lot, and didn't get anything done.  I also yelled and cried quite a bit.  But today is a new day and things are looking up. This blog is meaning more and more to me because like the introduction of the book says, music is the soundtrack of our lives.  I need good, meaningful music at this time in my life.  But enough babbling, onto the review!

The Beatles are fucking awesome.  I know it is cliche for them to be your favorite band but who cares?  They are cliche for a reason.  I have actually seen one of their movies, went to the Beatles store in London, and listened to their albums.  I really needed these familar songs today.  My favorite will always be "All My Loving" but I also really liked "Please Mr. Postman".  They are so cool!

RATING:

Brie: I'm trying to get back on track!!! I miss a few days and then I have to catch up! I'm not as big of a fan of the Beatles as Amanda here. It is like the Beatles and I are in a relationship where I can't quite say "I love you". It's not them, it's me. Okay, it's them a little bit. I'm more of an "Abbey Road", "Sgt. Peppers" person. To me a lot of these songs are a bit overplayed. And I have this internal force that makes me cringe away from anything cliche or too mainstream.

This album is good to listen to if you want to hear the pop song in one of its earliest forms. I really liked the songs that I haven't heard a million times like "Please Mister Postman" and "Little Child".

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. I didn't expect much, but the music won me over. The drumming and the whole band were better than I expected. We're often told the Beatles weren't good players, but clearly not so. I liked the Motown and Chuck Berry covers better than anything else here, with one exception.
    Standout track: "It Won't Be Long" (The backing vocals are brilliant, and innovative - kind of dreamy.)

    ReplyDelete