Tuesday, September 6, 2011

37. A Christmas Gift For You

Christmas Gift For You
Phil Spector
1963

Amanda: Yikes.  That is one scary album cover.  The man that produced this album was also a killer so it was also scary to hear him whisper to me about a silent night.  Wow, that got even scarier when I wrote about it.  Yeah...that wasn't good.  First of all, it is September so I am not exactly in the mood to listen to Christmas music.  Maybe I will go back and redo this review in December.  I probably won't, one because I am lazy and two because these songs are so overdone it is ridiculous.  I even have my favorite artists that I can stand doing cliche songs but not one of these artists were one of them.  It was pretty mind numbing.

RATING:

Brie: Thanks, Amanda, for creeping me out. I've never really liked Christmas music. But as far as Christmas music goes this album was pretty good. Highlights include "White Christmas", "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town", and "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus". I can see what Amanda is saying about the songs being overdone. At times it can be annoying but I think it adds to the overall extravagance of the holiday season. This is probably because it is August, but the whole time I was listening to this album I was just begging for it to be over. Well, Happy Birthday, Jesus, sorry your party was so lame.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. The wall of sound is definitely muddy. This is better heard using headphones to pick up more of the detail in the music. It's quite a feat that they made these songs so interesting, as they are overly familiar and I don't think they were even great songs to begin with. I liked the vocals, mainly The Ronettes and Darlene Love.
    Standout track: "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

    ReplyDelete