Thursday, September 8, 2011

40. Live at Apollo

Live at Apollo
James Brown
1963

Amanda: Oh my god, I have written so many freaking reviews today for my movie blog that I am worn out.  I will keep it short and sweet (because me and Brie usually write such long ones).  For some reason, I thought I wouldn't like this.  However, he was much more Sam Cooke-y than I expected.  He was cheerful, his songs were catchy, and he played off the audience really well.  Hearing people scream so loudly was hilarious.  It was like the only way they could communicate their affection was screaming as loud as they could.  I imagine I would have a similar reaction if I ever met Jack Nicholson.


RATING:

Brie: I don't usually write long posts! It is the opposite for me: I thought I would love this, but I actually hated it. I definitely prefer Sam Cooke. The people screaming just got annoying and the ten minute long "Lost Someone" just dragged on and on and on... "Night Train" was the only good track. This album just doesn't compare to the other live albums we have heard. I mean honestly, wouldn't you rather be listening to Muddy Waters or Sam Cooke? Wow. This is the first album we reviewed that I hated and Amanda loved. It's a weird feeling.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Right after I've said a live performance couldn't get any better than Sam Cooke's along comes James Brown - less manic but equally great. And his band is tremendous. The only bad thing is that it left me wanting more: I wish they had recorded each of the songs in the medley in its entirety.
    Standout track: "I Don't Mind"

    ReplyDelete