Thursday, September 8, 2011

39. The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Charles Mingus
1963

Amanda: Do you like this new font and color?  Brie, I was thinking we could both have a different look so our opinions don't blend together.  I also added a poll.  We are innovating!  Well enough bragging.  To the review!

So I was kind of dreading writing this review because frankly I don't know what to write.  I can't decide what my opinion on this was.  Did I like it?  It was definitely different.  Some of the tracks I felt could have been the music in a film noir.  It felt a bit jerky and I can't see giving this repeat listens.  I am perfectly indifferent.

RATING:

Brie: Yeah, I see what you are saying about the film noir thing. I was actually thinking more of a mobster/detective movie. Parts of "Solo Dancer" reminded me of the movie "Peeping Tom". (Is it a real movie, or is it just a figment of my imagination?) This was definitely very innovative, and Charles Mingus definaiely set himself apart from all of the other jazz musicians of his time. I think Amanda is so done with jazz music that she just tunes it out. You've come to a plateau, my friend. :)

RATING:

Did choosing this colour pink establish me as the "girly" one?

1 comment:

  1. The musicianship is very good. The funny thing is they're not playing it straight, so to speak, they're playing for effect.
    I've heard the album twice and the opening track a couple more times. I would have said I liked the weirdness, but I don't find this music so weird anymore. It's intricate and audacious, and it takes some getting used to. Actually I think this album is brilliant, though it can be jarring at times. And with the caveat that I need to be in the right mood to listen to this.

    ReplyDelete