Monday, September 26, 2011

53. A Love Supreme

A Love Supreme
John Coltrane
1965

Amanda: More jazz.  I cannot honestly say that I missed it.  I did read some rave reviews on Johnny here which made me a little less apprehensive but still.  Instrumental...

This album felt very controlled.  Some of the jazz albums we have listened to have felt like they were all over the place.  Coltrane sounded like he was very sure of what he was doing and there was no improv.  This is hard.  I want to stop giving the same reviews on jazz albums but at the same time: I DON'T LIKE JAZZ.  Some people would say: don't do a music blog then.  I say: shut the fuck up, I will do what I want.

Better than most jazz albums I have listened to.  And short!  Yay!

RATING:

Brie: Amanda will probably roll her eyes when she reads this, but I already had this on my iPod. What? I really like John Coltrane! Our book calls the record label that Coltrane was signed to, "Impulse!" a "hip indie jazz label". That just sounds cool! Throughout this album, Coltrane infused what he took from previous jazz artists, such as Miles Davis, with different types of world music (Indian and Arabic). The sax is so soulful. *Aaahhh...*, she sighed contently.

I will probably get punched in the face for this, but I wish it was longer.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. This didn't grab me like Miles, Mingus, and Monk (which sounds like the name of a very hip law firm). This isn't as edgy, but the saxophone is sufficiently adventurous to keep things interesting. The band supports him very well, and each gets time to solo. Not my favorite jazz from this list, but I think it's pretty good. I could hear the first track again.
    Standout track: Part 1: "Acknowledgement"

    ReplyDelete