Monday, July 9, 2012

247. Superfly

Superfly
Curtis Mayfield
1972

Tracks
1. Little Child Runnin' Wild 
2. Pusherman 
3. Freddie's Dead
4. Junkie Chase [Instrumental] 
5. Give Me Your Love (Love Song)
6. Eddie You Should Know Better
7. No Thing on Me (Cocaine Song) 
8. Think [Instrumental]
9. Superfly



They have sneaked another movie soundtrack into the list!  Curiously enough, it is from another blaxploitation movie.  Why can't it be from Grease or The Sound of Music??


Like I said, this album is from the movie Superfly which I haven't seen.  I checked up on it though and it is on my 1001 movie list and on Netflix Watch Instant so I will definitely watch it soon.


Anyway, you can't help but compare to this album to Shaft, and by all accounts, it falls short.  They are actually pretty similar except this one doesn't have the awesome "Theme from Shaft" which made Hayes' album.  Also, Mayfield tries to rock a sexy falsetto voice which kind of falls flat, though I have to give him props for the effort.  Kind of reminded me of Andy from The Office:
I mean, this album is not completely awful but if we are going to include movie soundtracks, there are absolutely amazing movie musicals to choose from.  A pity...
RATING: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment