Monday, July 9, 2012

245. Can't Buy A Thrill

Can't Buy A Thrill
Steely Dan
1972

Tracks
1. Do It Again
2. Dirty Work 
3. Kings 
4. Midnight Cruiser
5. Only A Fool Would Say That
6. Reelin' In The Years
7. Fire In The Hole
8. Brooklyn (Owes The Charmer Under Me)
9. Change Of The Guard 
10. Turn That Heartbeat Over Again



I am in the midst of an album marathon since I am excited to get to the landmark 250.  Armed with only a Quaker's chewy chocolate bar and my Rousseau book, one woman will make it.  Unless of course, it gets too late in which case I have plans.


Here's another band that you probably have never heard of before: Steely Dan.  I really pictured a bunch of motorcycling bad asses but here is a picture:
Disappointing.  Just a less attractive version the Beatles (except for the creepy guy on the left who looks more like Charles Manson).

Anyway, this obscure band also plays an obscure genre: jazz rock.  Actually, I just looked them up and apparently they are more famous than I thought they were (also found an article titled "All Steely Dan Fans Are Assholes").  Chalk it up to my minimal understanding of music.

I, not being an asshole (most of the time), did not really like this album.  The sound was fun and unique.  However, the lyrics got on my nerves.  They seemed to just keep repeating the name of the song, kind of like what Lou Bega does.  Still, jazz rock was pretty fun and I hope there is more on the list.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment