Monday, July 2, 2012

237. John Prine

John Prine
John Prine
1971

Tracks
1. Illegal Smile
2. Spanish Pipedream 
3. Hello in There 
4. Sam Stone 
5. Paradise 
6. Pretty Good 
7. Your Flag Decal Won't Get You into Heaven Anymore 
8. Far from Me 
9. Angel from Montgomery 
10. Quiet Man 
11. Donald and Lydia 
12. Six O'Clock News 
13. Flashback Blues



I inwardly groaned when I read that this guy was supposedly the next Bob Dylan.  Even if I liked Dylan, I think this comparison is pretty unfair to both of them.  Not only are those huge shoes to fill but their styles are relatively different.


This is a surprising album.  Prine sings songs with a kind of country simplicity so you think the songs are going to be on normal, innocent country topics like killing women and bedbugs (I have encountered multiple songs on those topics on this journey).  However, he is actually sending deep, political messages.  By now I am getting a little sing of anti war songs but with a southern twist, it actually sounded original.


Better than I expected and some of the songs are genuinely funny.  Check it out.


RATING: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment