Thursday, March 17, 2016

453. The Specials

The Specials
The Specials
1979













Tracks
1. A Message To You Rudy 
2. Do The Dog 
3. It's Up To You 
4. Nite Klub 
5. Doesn't Make It Alright 
6. Concrete Jungle 
7. Too Hot 
8. Monkey Man 
9. (Dawning Of A) New Era 
10. Blank Expression 
11. Stupid Marriage 
12. Too Much Too Young 
13. Little Bitch 
14. You're Wondering Now


This is the last album of the 1970s.  I just looked back in the archives and apparently I started the 1970s in 2012.  Have I really been listening to 70s music for the last four years? That's a rather startling statistic.  Hopefully, I will pick up speed on this project a bit.  Anyway, this should be a celebratory paragraph, not a paragraph that contemplates my own mortality.  We can do that later when I listen to the Dead Kennedy's.

I didn't think I knew who the Specials were, but I recognized the song "A Message To You Rudy" as soon as it started playing.  I think I saw the music video in a class once.  Anyway, it is catchy as hell with an interesting political message.  Unfortunately, none of the other songs quite live up to that one (although "Doesn't Make It Alright" was close).  In fact, the dip in lyrical quality was quite surprising.  Were the other songs covers or something?  We went from an intelligent comment on Jamaican street life to lyrics like "all the girls are slags and the beer tastes just like piss."

I suppose I should say a word or two about the seventies, since you are all obviously clamoring for me to make a speech.  I know I complain (A LOT) but honestly, I really enjoy this project, even though some of the albums want to make me pull my hair out.  I suppose you could say it is the Special albums that make it all worth it.  

I am feeling generous today, so I will go with four stars, just because of the brilliance of the first track.  Too bad they couldn't keep it up.

RATING: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Indeed this is quite special, as advertised. What a pleasant surprise and most enjoyable album. Maybe I'm just a sucker for a horn section and strong basslines. This music stimulates pleasure centers in my brain.

    ReplyDelete