Wednesday, March 2, 2016

444. Rust Never Sleeps

Rust Never Sleeps
Neil Young and Crazy Horse
1979














Tracks
1. My My Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)
2. Thrasher 
3. Ride My Llama 
4. Pocahontas 
5. Sail Away 
6. Powderfinger 
7. Welfare Mothers 
8. Sedan Delivery 
9. Hey Hey My My (Into The Black)


I was really hyping up this album in my head.  While it wasn't a complete disappointment, I still think it came across as an attempt from a slightly washed up artist to try to appear relevant.

Young's signature voice is still magnificent here, but it is angrier and rougher than we have ever heard before.  I suppose this is his own attempt to progress past punk, but I still prefer his old sound (although I can hardly fault him for innovating).  But to me, his voice simply doesn't work with this kind of music.  The album was, on the whole, cohesive, but at times it bordered on repetitive.

The songwriting is still incredibly, with his lyrical talent displayed beautifully in "Pocahontas." Not what I was expecting or hoping for, but I am not sure that is a bad thing.

RATING: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment