Thursday, March 3, 2016

445. Entertainment!

Entertainment!
Gang of Four
1979














Tracks
1. Ether
2. Naturals Not In It
3. Not Great Men
4. Damaged Goods
5. Return The Gift
6. Guns Before Butter
7. I Found That Essence Rare
8. Glass
9. Contract
10. At Home He's A Tourist
11. 5.45
12. Anthrax


The Gang of Four...isn't it too soon in 1979?  Apparently not.

Punk has really been transforming and progressing in exciting ways with our recent albums (with the exception of The Slits, which took us back a few steps).  Lyrically, Entertainment! is just as angry as our previous hard core entries.  "Anthrax" condemns bands that only sing about the subject of love, while "Not Great Men" talks about the corruption of leaders.  I felt like the band was more interested in relating their messages intelligently to their audience, rather than just screaming naive complaints at us.

I appreciated the lyrics of the album far more than the music as I have to admit that not one melody really grabbed me.  Still, I am glad I listened to it and it is definitely worth hearing.

RATING: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment