Tuesday, March 1, 2016

441. Broken English

Broken English
Marianne Faithfull
1979














Tracks
1. Broken English 
2. Witch's Song 
3. Brain Drain 
4. Guilt 
5. Ballad Of Lucy Jordan 
6. What's The Hurry 
7. Working Class Hero 
8. Why D'Ya Do It?


I am quite behind on this blog, which I am blaming on Marianne Faithfull.  Do I like her?  Do I not like her?  I can't decide.  Damn you, Marianne.  Or maybe bless you...

Faithfull has a really odd voice.  She reminds of Amy Winehouse, in that you suspect her vocal uniqueness comes from the effects of chain smoking and less from natural talent.  It is still intriguing to listen to, although apparently she bombs live.

Strangely enough, her voice isn't the weirdest thing about this album.  The lyrics are quite shocking, particularly in "Why D'Ya Do It?"  The song is from the point of view of a man and relates the angry tirade his girlfriend went on after he cheated on her.  I'm not sure why this would be on Faithfull's album, unless she just wanted an excuse to say cock a lot.

In the end, I liked the energy of the album.  Not everything worked, but enough did to make it worth its place on The List.

RATING: 4/5

3 comments:

  1. What happened to my copy of this? I used to really like this .. Not sure if I would these days..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happened to my copy of this? I used to really like this .. Not sure if I would these days..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like there are artists that have the same charm, but are slightly more talented than her to enjoy.

      Delete