Thursday, August 11, 2011

9. The Atomic Mr. Basie

The Atomic Mr. Basie
Count Basie
1957

Amanda: This album is filled with swinging, jazz music but what could you expect from the drummer of Duke Ellington's band?  Count Basie was a bandleader and all the songs are instrumental.  The songs range from slow (and slightly depressing) to fast, makes-you-want-to-dance music.

I personally enjoyed this album.  When I was listening to it, I was extremely into it.  However, when I look back, I really cannot remember a lot from the album.  No one track really stood out for me, and fail to see how this was influential.  It kind of felt like a copy of Duke Ellington's work (which it probably was).  So it was enjoyable but there is no lasting impression.

RATING:

Brie: Because I love jazz and Duke Ellington, I was not surprised that I liked this album. There were many great tunes that I wanted to dance to. (How does one dance to jazz music? With a partner, I assume.) I agree with Amanda. This album was not very memorable, and I don't think I would choose to listen to it again when I could be listening to Miles Davis or Billie Holiday. But it was a great effort by Count Basie.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Count Basie - "The Kid From Red Bank"
    Standout track from the album The Atomic Mr. Basie (1957)
    Album 9 of 1001 Albums You Must Hear
    I find this music pretty cool overall, even if I didn't always care for the blaring trumpet and trombone combo which appears out of nowhere on several songs. I prefer reeds and piano. Still, the energy and tempo of the opener makes it the standout song for me. The first half of this album is really strong, the second half not so much and by the last few tracks it kind of all sounds the same. The first bonus track "Silks and Satins" is as good as anything on the original album, for me. I could listen to this album again as background music while doing other things - it's a fun listen, for the most part.

    ReplyDelete