Monday, August 15, 2011

18. At Mister's Kelly's

At Mister's Kelly's
Sarah Vaughan
1958

Amanda: Finally!!  A brilliant album that
a) isn't horribly depressing
b) has interesting, relatable songs
c) is sung by the best female vocalist I have ever heard in my life

I loved this album!  Sarah Vaughan has the most amazing voice.  It makes me feel so...full.  I am sorry if that sounds cliche or lame but that is the best way to describe it. I like her so much better than Ella Fitzgerald. She also cannot really remember lyrics to songs so a couple on this album are pretty much her just singing nonense ("Just a Gigolo" and "How High is the Moon").  My favorite track was "Thou Swell" but there is not a single song that I disliked.  I even want to get the ones that she messed up on for my iPod.  Would that be weird?

RATING:

Brie: J'adore live albums. Sarah's nickname was "Sassy"! Love that! From the beginning of the first track "September In The Rain" I fell in love. I know exactly what Amanda means about feeling full. Tears came to my eyes while listening to this. Sarah Vaughan is just that good. Sarah also took part in the formation of bebop music. She has a voice close to perfect and this album cannot get onto my ipod fast enough! Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday, and Ella Fitzgerald are pretty much the trifecta of perfect female vocalists. Why can't I find this album online? I like albums, not compilations! As I listen to this album, I can feel the atmosphere at Mister Kelly's and imagine that I am there! Do yourself a favor and listen to this.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Sarah Vaughan - "Honeysuckle Rose"
    Standout track from the album Sarah Vaughan At Mister Kelly's (1958)
    Album 18 of 1001 Albums You Must Hear
    I never thought I would be writing a positive review for a lounge act from the 1950's but here we are. This is actually pretty cool, impressive singing and I liked the band. The uptempo numbers were best for me, but even the ballads were kind of interesting. It was a bit long. I marked a half dozen tracks as good and I could listen to those again, but probably not the whole album.

    ReplyDelete