Wednesday, August 17, 2011

22. Gunfighter Ballads And Trail Songs

Gunfighter Ballads And Trail Songs
Marty Robbins
1959


Brie: Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am the opposite of a country music fan. That being said, I didn't hate this album. This album is one of those rare exceptions to my hatred for all things country music. Marty Robbins' voice is so melodic and pleasant to listen to. These songs make me want to wander around the old west or watch a western film. This album is so influential because there are songs that Robbins wrote himself as well as traditional songs. The songs "Big Iron" and "El Paso" are well written stories by Robbins. When you are listening, specifically keep your ears open for the exquisite guitar playing. As you can probably tell, I was pleasantly surprised by my love for this album, and I definitely want this on my ipod.

RATING:

Amanda: Trust me to like the first lame album so far on the list.  Yes, this is country but not the obnoxious country like the Louvin Brothers.  It is much more western and reminded me of cowboy movies which in turn reminded me of my grandfather.  I also love stories of any kind so it was nice to listen to a few unique ones like "Billy the Kid" and "El Paso".  Though you would certainly not be cool from listening to this album, it certainly made me feel good after listening to Robbins' pleasant voice and the lazy guitar.  Best of all, it isn't jazz!

RATING:

P.S.  Now I want to go watch Tombstone!

1 comment:

  1. I had the opposite impression and found this album mostly uninteresting. The singing style is hokey and too obvious; he really wants you to hear those lyrics, but the cowboy stories didn't interest me. I didn't like the synchronous vocal harmonies either. Most of the songs not written by Robbins are weak, with the exception of "Running Gun" which I liked. I liked "Big Iron" and "The Master's Call" but they sound like variations on the same song.
    Standout track: "Running Gun"

    ReplyDelete