Monday, August 22, 2011

25. Elvis is Back!

Elvis is Back
Elvis Presley
1960

Amanda: Yay! Elvis is back! Now this might be similar to the feeling the monarchs had when Napoleon returned to some people but to me it is exciting.  My name is Amanda and I am an Elvis lover.

This album is fantastic for many reasons.  Elvis' voice in some of the songs (particularly "Fever") is a lot less flashy and much more tender in these tracks.  The songs are also less recognizable so it wasn't like you were listening to something you have heard a hundred times.  Overall, great album and great songs.

RATING:

Brie: Some of you may remember my extremely unfavorable review of Elvis' debut album. This album was a bit better than the first one we listened to, but not much better for me. I kind of feel bad not liking such an iconic singer, but maybe I will have my breakthrough with the next album. My favorites included "I Will Be Home Again", and I actually found myself smiling and dancing along with "Such A Night".  I agree that because this album wasn't filled with hits that I've heard a thousand times growing up (my dad is a huge Elvis fan) it was much more interesting. Maybe Amanda will make an Elvis fan out of me yet. :)

RATING:  

1 comment:

  1. Side 1 seems a rather commercial sound but I like parts of it anyway. Side 2 surprised me, it's pretty great. Very good songs and Elvis shows he could be a great singer in the right conditions. Genre-wise it's all over the place, including some R&B and blues. This certainly exceeded my expectations.
    Standout track: "Such A Night"

    ReplyDelete