Sunday, August 14, 2011

12. Birth of Cool

Birth of Cool
1957
Miles Davis

Amanda: Ah, what a treat.  More jazz.  I have been wondering why we haven't listened to any lately.  I am kidding, of course.  I feel like all I have ever listened to is jazz.  I was really hoping I would get exposed to all different types of music with this book but so far it has been mainly jazz.  But enough of my complaining.  Onto the review!

I have no problem with this album.  It is catchy sometimes and pleasant to listen to.  The observant reader (if we had any) would notice that I didn't say I liked this album.  It is kind of plain and boring.  Next genre, please!  Please?

RATING:

Brie: Just some background: Miles Davis was mentored by Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie. When Davis was 24 he decided to re-create jazz as everyone knew it. This is the definition of "cool" jazz. Davis' influences come from European classical music, bebop, and ragtime. Although critically acclaimed, the public failed to see the wonder and significance of this album.

I cannot express how much I loved this album! Firstly, I already had this album on my iPod. I think Miles Davis is a genius. As if the title of the album weren't catchy enough! The opening track "Move" made me want to do just that. Another one of my favorites is "Venus De Milo". Overall this album makes me want to tap my foot and nod my head. It isn't as good as Davis' later material, but amazing nonetheless.


RATING:

3 comments:

  1. Slight surprise .. I really expected you to hate this. Glad you didn't ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has become quite surprising when I like something!

      Delete
  2. Miles Davis - "Move"
    Standout track from the album Birth Of The Cool (1957)
    Album 12 of 1001 Albums You Must Hear
    It took me a couple of tries to get into this music. I found it demands my full attention. To my surprise, I ended up liking it, a lot. These guys play great and you never know where the music is going next. Great all the way through, I will definitely listen to this again.

    ReplyDelete