Tuesday, August 30, 2011

28. The Incredible Jimmy Smith: Back at the Chicken Shack

The Incredible Jimmy Smith: Back at the Chicken Shack
Jimmy Smith
1960

Amanda: And our good music streak comes to a close with this album.  Well, it was fun while it lasted.  God, we had some good times.  Remember the Everly Brothers?

But alas, we are back to jazz.  This album, however, is unique because Jimmy Smith used an organ in his songs.  Up until then, organs were only used in church and not by cool cats like Jimmy here.  It certainly wasn't annoying or aggravating but it was purely background music to me while I made my bed and made calls.  I was also pretty sad today and this didn't really cheer me up.  Oh well.  At least it wasn't Billie Holiday.

RATING: 

Brie: Amanda. I love Billie Holiday. Try to be a bit more sensitive. When I saw the title "Back At The Chicken Shack" I thought this was going to be a country album. Boy was I relieved when I realized it wasn't. Jimmy Smith is one cool dude. This album keeps it coolie cool boy. Easy listening. LOVE the use of the organ. It is so jazzy and cool! I will be adding this to my jazz collection now.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. I like some of the jazz on this album, but I don't think the hammond organ really does it for me as a lead instrument - though I don't mind it. Kind of funky, not bad. But I much preferred the saxophone on this album.
    Standout track: "When I Grow Too Old To Dream"

    ReplyDelete