Thursday, August 11, 2011

11. Palo Congo

Palo Congo
Sabu
1957

Amanda: This album was nothing like what we have heard up to this point.  It is kind of a mix of African and...I want to say Cuban?  I will have to look that up.  Mostly the music gives off the African vibe, but the words that are yelled during the drumming are Spanish.  Some of the tracks kind of reminded me of Dirty Dancing 2 (which is why I said Cuban) and others reminded me of some sort of tribal dance.

Did not really care for it.  It might have been more bearable without the shrieking.  Grated on my nerves a little bit.  It definitely is not the kind of music you hum to yourself or put on your iPod.  If I could dance well, it probably would not have annoyed me as much.

RATING:

Brie: Wow, Amanda! So many loaded words! :) You are right, this album is Afro-Cuban. Apparently this album is "modern salsa". The book says this is amazing congo drum music. So..... yeah. Maybe we would like it if we knew what was being said. I found it a bit annoying as well. I'm sure if we grew up in some kind of Afro-Cuban culture or the Spanish Harlem we would like this music a lot more. I am getting really fed-up with the fifties. Ugh.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Sabu - "Choferito-Plena"
    Standout track from the album Palo Congo (1957)
    Album 11 of 1001 Albums You Must Hear
    This album gradually won me over after a shaky start, and by track three (the best one for me) I was into it. I liked the call and response vocals especially with the female vocalist. This is some unique and interesting percussion dominated music. I'm glad this list makes me stick with music which at first listen wouldn't seem like it's for me. Too bad the middle of the album was a bit weak, then the last two tracks were good. I'll probably listen to those songs which I liked again some time.

    ReplyDelete