Monday, August 22, 2011

26. Miriam Makeba

Miriam Makeba
Miriam Makeba
1960

Amanda: The sixties have made an excellent impression on me so far.  This album is so different but so beautiful that it is a wonder that I haven't heard of it.  Most of the album is sung in Swahili so I couldn't understand the words but it really didn't matter because the music itself was what made the album beautiful.  It is hard to describe unless you have listened to it but the Makeba's voice is beautiful and comforting.  Unfortunately, this wasn't very popular because of the sheer uniqueness of it but I loved it!

RATING:

One of the songs is "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" but it is sung so differently that I almost didn't recognize it.

Brie: I completely agree with Amanda. Miriam Makeba makes such beautiful music. My favorite was "Mbube" or "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". The only bad thing about this album is the song "The Naughty Little Flea". What was that about??? Skip that song. You'll thank me. I also really liked Miriam's version of "House Of The Rising Sun" even though I am a die-hard fan of Dave van Ronk's version. But so many people covered it that I have to be open to all versions. :) I've always wanted to get into more "world music" so this is especially amazing to me. I think this is the first album we have reviewed that is not "made in the USA". Keep this world music coming!

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Miriam Makeba does have a powerful and impactful voice. I liked a few of the songs written or co-written by Makeba, but overall this album didn't interest me enough to recommend it. Switch this out for some Chuck Berry.
    Standout track: "The Click Song"

    ReplyDelete