Wednesday, August 31, 2011

29. Muddy Waters at Newport

Muddy Waters at Newport
Muddy Waters
1960
muddy_newport.jpg
Amanda: So today instead of going about my chores and getting ready to an album, I had The Treasure of Sierra Madre on (my favorite Bogie).  So for this album, I listened to it without doing anything else.   It actually had a positive effect.

This was one of those live albums that enables you to hear people in the background.  I don't like these as much as studio recordings but it was still enjoyable.  This style of music felt immensely different and I have no idea what any of the lyrics mean (I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man?) but it still was rather pleasant.  Not great.

RATING:

Brie: I already had this album on my iPod. I really love the soulful, bluesy tone to Muddy Waters' voice. The fact that the album is live just makes it so much better. I can tell that Muddy makes quality music (not like the digitalized "music" produced today). Our International Studies teacher in high school actually had a poster of Muddy Waters framed on his wall. Very cool. If you haven't heard this album, I would definitely recommend giving it a listen. My favorite is "I've Got My Mojo Working".

RATING:  

3 comments:

  1. I'm not at all familiar with this album, but centuries ago I went all the way to London to see this guy live. Wow.
    What do you think .. a bit like Films Noir .. you can love the film / music whilst still finding the sexism more than a little dodgy ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I still can't really justify liking any Martin Scorsese films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The musicianship is exceptional, especially for a live album. And for that reason this held my interest throughout - though I mainly liked three or four songs in particular (this could change if I hear it again). His vocals are more restrained here than at The Last Waltz - both were just right for the occasion.
    Standout track: "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man"

    ReplyDelete