Sunday, August 14, 2011

19. Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook

Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook
Ella Fitzgerald
1959

Amanda: Whew!  That was quite an album; it clocked in on three hours and fifteen minutes.  It was pretty exhausting to listen to Ella Fitzgerald for that long but I got all my laundry done so that was a plus.  It also happens to be a pretty amazing album.

With this album, I heard so many familar songs that I felt like I had heard it before.  This is actually a good quality most of the time because a lot of the songs I loved but other times I craved to hear something original.  But Ella (we are on a first name basis) has such a beautiful voice that she could make the dullest song interesting.  My personal favorites were "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" (it reminded me of one of my favorite movies When Harry Met Sally) and "I Got Rhythm" (another favorite: American in Paris).  Still, it was extremely long.  I would just listen to your favorites.

RATING:

P.S.  I think this is a sign that I love movies infinitely more than music.

Brie: I cannot put into words how wonderful Ella Fitzgerald is. Literally, I can't. This album is everything I could have hoped for. If you only have a few minutes, listen to "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off", "'S Wonderful", and "I Got Rhythm". This is one of the most amazing collections of songs I have ever heard. Period. I am just having a wonderful time here at the end of the fifties. Billie Holiday, Jack Elliott, Sarah Vaughan, and now Ella Fitzgerald! Could it get any better?

Response to Amanda's "PS": that's okay. You can insert your knowledge of movies and I will go on and on about how Bob Dylan somehow connects to every songwriter ever. It's all good. :)

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Ella Fitzgerald - "Treat Me Rough"
    Standout track from the album Sings The George And Ira Gershwin Song Book (1959)
    Album 19 of 1001 Albums You Must Hear
    Disc 1 was a dud, only a couple of bearable songs. I was ready to "call the whole thing off". Then something surprising happened on disc 2, the music starts to swing. Even the occasional sax solo pokes its head. Not every track was stellar, but quite enjoyable overall and I wouldn't mind hearing it again. Disc 3 was hit and miss, too many ballads but overall I still like it. This music creates a mood. I wonder why they put the weak stuff on disc 1, or maybe it just took me time to appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete