Sunday, August 14, 2011

14. Here's Little Richard

Here's Little Richard
Little Richard
1957

Amanda: Little Richard is on my "roll my eyes whenever his name is mentioned list."  For those of you who don't know, Little Richard was gay.  Notice the word was.  He claims he "found Jesus" and is an exgay (??).  He has been "repenting" since then.  That pisses me off.

But I am trying to do an objective review on this particular album.  Luckily for me, I was not too much of a fan.  I do like his voice; I have always been interested in different kinds of voices (like Regina Spektor).  The songs, however, have been rerecorded so much that it was hard to sit through "Tutti Frutti."  A couple of tracks I liked but I like Elvis better.  Sorry pretentious music people.

RATING:

Brie: I had never heard any of Little Richard's music before this. And in my mind I have always had high expectations of him because Little Richard was one of the musicians that greatly inspired Bob Dylan when he was still Robert Zimmerman living in Hibbing, Minnesota. I am as equally upset about he whole "ex-gay" thing as Amanda.

I, personally, love Little Richard for his over the top ways. The book says that in 1955 the whole rock 'n' roll genre really burst open with artists such as Fats Dominio, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, and Bo Diddly all having number one hits around the same time. Add to that list Little Richard.

I loved this record! It was all such fun to listen to, and Little Richard brings so much energy to these songs. My favorites are "Ready Teddy" and "Slippin' And Slidin'".

Also, we have listened to Fats Domino, and a Ray Charles album is coming in the near future. Where is the Chuck Berry and Bo Diddly music? I would prefer a 50% jazz, 50 % rock 'n' roll ratio.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Little Richard - "Slippin' And Slidin'"
    Standout track from the album Here's Little Richard (1957)
    Album 14 of 1001 Albums You Must Hear
    I expected this to sound dated and corny, but no, it's still a great listen in 2020. Strong songwriting throughout the album, I never felt like skipping to the next track. Recording quality is noticeably poor in a few spots, but for this kind of music that's not a big deal. I really enjoyed the sax and piano. I could hear it again some time.

    ReplyDelete