Monday, August 15, 2011

16. Lady In Satin

Lady In Satin
Billie Holiday
1958

Amanda: Well, anyone who has ever seen Clueless (excellent movie by the way) knows that Billie Holiday is a woman.  Just wanted to clear that up for people.  Moving on...

This is one of the most depressing albums I have ever listened to.  It was even worst than In the Wee Small Hours. One of her songs is even called "Glad to be Unhappy."  Maybe I would have been happier with it if I just got out of a relationship but thankfully I am in a good mood today and was not prepared for the kick in the pants that this album was.

That being said, this is a really good album.  I think I have said this before, but I really like the interesting, different voice (even if the reason for it is kind of sad).  Still, I can't see listening to this album a lot since it has such a negative effect on my mood.  I have to go eat my feelings with some cookies now...

RATING:

P.S. Brie is right.  I am getting sick of the 50s.

Brie: Billie Holiday is one of my favorite vocalists of all time. Her voice is so raspy and raw because of the addictino to heroin that she was struggling with at the time. She died from a liver problem a year after this album was recorded. Even though the songs are very melancholy, as Amanda said, I still loved listening to this album. Billie puts so much emotion into her voice. The songs are perfect to listen to on a rainy day like today. The instrument arrangements in the background on some songs such as "You Don't Know What Love Is" was breezy and dreamy as they try to cover up Billie's struggles. If you are looking to hear more Billie Holiday sans depression her "Jazz At the Philharmonic" album is really good. Amazing version of "Strange Fruit" on there. Even if you hate the album, sit back and admire the moment this album captures in the life of one of the most important female vocalists ever.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Billie Holiday - "I'm A Fool To Want You"
    Standout track from the album Lady In Satin (1958)
    Album 16 of 1001 Albums You Must Hear
    The first song on this album is great and the next few are pretty good. But then I became bored with the slow tempo and the sappy, strings-heavy orchestral production. In fact, this literally put me to sleep on my first try. Billie Holiday gives some interesting performances even though her voice seems a bit worn, and the album is somewhat interesting for that reason. However, a much better idea would be the double album compilation Lady In Autumn, The Best of the Verve Years. Stronger vocals, much more interesting arrangements, and overall better songs.

    ReplyDelete