Friday, August 19, 2011

24. Joan Baez (1960)

Joan Baez (1960)
Joan Baez
1960


Brie: This is Joan Baez's first album, and most of the songs are traditional or public domain songs. As you can tell on this album, Joan was a wonderful guitar player, and still is. This album was the first step she took to gaining her title "Queen Of Folk" to Bob Dylan's "King Of Folk". (Yes, I know Bob hates that title. After all, I ain't looking to simplify him, classify him, deny, defy, or crucify him.) If I remember correctly, Bob first saw Joan perform on a television show and he thought "That girl looks like she needs a singing partner".

I already had this album on my ipod, as I am a huge Joan Baez fan. Joan has such a melodic, angelic quality to her voice. My favorite track is "Silver Dagger".

RATING: Not sure why it let Amanda put in album units but not me... But I give this album a 5/5!!!

Amanda: First of all, I would like to say that with the start of the sixties, there is a clean slate.  My reviews have been anything but complimentary but I do want to open myself up to music.  My brother says I am picky (mostly because I am a vegetarian) but I still hate that that word is associated with me.  So, I am really going to start trying to be more happy with the albums.  Except jazz.

Moving on to the review, I really liked this album and I am not just saying that to prove a point.  Joan Baez has a beautiful voice and her songs kind of just flow.  After listening to her, I felt lazy and nolstagic.  Great, relaxing album.


RATING:

1 comment:

  1. "Silver Dagger" and "John Riley" are great songs and performances. A couple of other songs I liked, and the rest unremarkable. Just a girl and her guitar (maybe a second guitar on a couple of songs), she has a great voice but it didn't hold my interest all the way through. However, the album has atmosphere and authenticity, and I'm glad I heard it once.
    Standout track: "Silver Dagger"

    ReplyDelete