Thursday, August 18, 2011

23. Time Out

Time Out
David Brubeck
1959

Amanda: Okay, so every jazz fan out there (I imagine they would be a pretentious lot) from what I have read would hate on this album because it is "overdone".  I, however, only listen to jazz when forced by a list, so I really couldn't tell you which albums are overdone and which aren't.  Now, I liked this album more than some of the other jazz ones out there because I could hear the piano which reminds me of my mom and her sisters.  I am not saying this is a reason for you to like it (that would be creepy if it was) but since most jazz albums have their brass drown out the piano, this was refreshing.  I also really enjoyed the first track, "Blue Rondo A La Turk".  So give it a listen; it isn't very long.

RATING:
WE ARE DONE WITH THE FIFETIES!!!!!!!!!

Brie: This album is more for jazz newcomers. There isn't anything really that is unusual or different for a jazz album, so big jazz fans would probably go for something a little more off the beaten path. I just liked this album. After Miles Davis, anything would sound kind of plain, I guess. But I am definitely considering adding this to my ipod. I also loved "Blue Rondo A La Turk", and most of you have probably have heard "Take Five".

RATING:
Well, the fifties were awesome... I am sad to see them go. But I consider myself somewhat of an expert on sixties music, so I am so excited to begin a new decade! :)

1 comment:

  1. I found this album mostly pleasant and intriguing, however in spots the music is impressive. The first track is tremendous, and the last one very good. I thought they were going to break into a Beatles tune a minute into "Kathy's Waltz".
    Standout track: "Blue Rondo A La Turk"

    ReplyDelete