Monday, August 15, 2011

15. Dance Mania

Dance Mania
Tito Puente
1958

Amanda: This was very different than the other music we have listened to so far.  It is the kind of music that you tango or mumba to.  I, of course, can't do either (in high school gym class once I was pulled aside by the gym teacher because I couldn't spin).  Still, I enjoyed listening to this album, and if I had been wearing a puffy skirt, I would have probably tried to dance.

I liked this a lot better than some of the crap we have listened to lately.  Still, not my favorite genre nor will you find these tracks on my iPod.

RATING:

Brie: This is Tito Puente's best selling album. Dance Mania, Vol. 1 is comprised completely of, what else, dance music. Puente was a Puerto Rican-American, which shows on this album. You can also hear Afro-Cuban beats, and jazz styles.

I agree that this is better than a lot of the music we have been reviewing lately. The first track, "El Cayuco", made me want to have a dinner party. I found that I prefer the all instrumental tracks to the ones that have vocals on them. I just found the voice a bit annoying. Basically, all of the songs are fun to dance to, and that is as far into a review I can currently go. I cannot do the mambo, but maybe if I could I would have much more intelligent things to say about this. I liked it, but it's not my favorite.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Tito Puente And His Orchestra - "Hong Kong Mambo"
    Standout track from the album Dance Mania, Vol. 1 (1958)
    Album 15 of 1001 Albums You Must Hear
    This wasn't as edgy or interesting as the previous latin jazz albums on this list, but parts of it were pretty good. I liked about half the songs on this album, starting at about the fourth track. It was okay to hear once.

    ReplyDelete