Monday, August 15, 2011

17. Jack Takes the Floor

Jack Takes the Floor
Ramblin' Jack
1958

Amanda: Holy shit, that was just awful.

We are talking yodeling, crooning, and songs about bed bugs.  Add that to the fact that I am not a country fan (I couldn't even watch The Last Picture Show without feeling upset) and you have my least favorite album so far.  Any album that has the lyrics "bed bugs as big as a jackass will come out and bite you with a grin on the face" is not for me.  Thankfully, I could not relate to the songs at all and I found them incredibly obnoxious.

That was just horrible.

RATING: no album units!

Brie: I knew Amanda would hate this! :) Jack Elliott influenced so many people! Including Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, and Keith Richards These songs are pure iconic folk songs. When he was playing Greenwich Village coffeehouses in the sixties he was known as the "Son of Woody". Woody, of course, being Woody Guthrie. And Bob Dylan was known as the "Son of Jack". I found it very difficult to find music by Ramblin' Jack, which disappoints me very much, as this could be described as one of the most important albums of all time. I was particularly happy to listen to Jack's version of "Dink's Song", although no one does it better than Dave Van Ronk!

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Ramblin' Jack Elliott - "Dink's Song"
    Standout track from the album Jack Takes The Floor (1958)
    Album 17 of 1001 Albums You Must Hear
    I can hear the influence of this music in the 1960's. As a listening experience today, I found the first half weak and the second half interesting in parts. Actually, Dink's Song was quite interesting, and I look forward to hearing what other artists did with it. This music certainly has character, and the album was okay to hear once.

    ReplyDelete