Friday, July 10, 2020

682. People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm

People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
A Tribe Called Quest
1990














Tracks
1. Push It Along
2. Luck Of Lucien
3. After Hours
4. Footprints
5. I Left My Wallet In El Segundo
6. Public Enemy
7. Bonita Applebum
8. Can I Kick It
9. Youthful Expression
10. Rhythm (Devoted To The Art Of Moving Butts)
11. Mr Muhammad
12. Ham 'n' Eggs
13. Go Ahead In The Rain
14. Description Of A Fool


So yet another hip hop album, but I actually liked this one, primarily because it didn't contain any hate speech or try to incite violence against women. In fact, "Description of a Fool" felt like a direct reaction to some of Ice Cube's more venomous work.

This is obviously an improvement lyrics-wise, but I also enjoyed the use of sampling from all different music genres. Speaking of sampling, like every person with a soul, I love Hamilton and noticed our boy Lin-Manuel Miranda paid homage to this band with many of his lyrics. 

So a nice reminder that hip hop music can be good, which I sorely needed right now.
RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment