Thursday, August 9, 2012

266. All Directions

All Directions
The Temptations
1972

Tracks
1. Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On
2. Run Charlie Run
3. Papa Was A Rollin' Stone
4. Love Woke Me Up This Morning
5. I Ain't Got Nothn'
6. First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
7. Mother Nature
8. Do Your Thing


All right, so I was anticipating some nice harmonies in the same vein as "My Girl" with this album.  I certainly was not expecting this.  The Temptations get funky!  Just look out how funky the purple pantsuit is on the cover!

You can tell you are going to get some serious funk with the first track.  However, the album progresses into something more.  "Run Charlie Run", for instance, is a song about how white people ran to the suburbs when African Americans started populating the cities.  I never thought that the Temptations would be political.  I mean, does this look political to you?
Even though there is a definite shift in the tone of this album, The Temptations keep their old harmonic charm.  A pleasant surprise.

RATING: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment