Wednesday, February 1, 2012

169. Songs From a Room

Songs From a Room
Leonard Cohen
1969

Tracks
1. Bird On The Wire
2. Story Of Isaac
3. Bunch Of Lonesome Heroes

4. The Partisan
5. Seems So Long Ago, Nancy
6. Old Revolution
7. Butcher
8. You Know Who I Am
9. Lady Midnight
10. Tonight Will Be Fine



Fun fact about Leonard Cohen time!  One of my heroes in life is Roger Ebert, the best film critic of all time.  When he was leaving the hospital after a surgery on his throat, he paused to listen to a Leonard Cohen song before pulling out.  When he was listening to it, I think an artery broke and he began spurting blood everywhere.  Thankfully, he was still in the hospital parking lot and not in the middle of traffic.  Moral of the story: Leonard Cohen saves lives.


Anyway, I hated this album.  It is not hard to hate it, it is really depressing.  Like ruin your day kind of depressing.  Now, I think this works sometimes in entertainment (tragic romances are the best) but not with an album.  I knew nothing about this guy's life or romances so I really didn't care.  I just didn't want to listen to him whine and bring me down.  It is a Wednesday night and I have been working a lot lately.  Quit making it worse, Dustin Hoffman's doppelganger!

RATING: 2/5

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I really don't like music that brings me down. I don't like the pull on my heart that some music does.It can really affect my day. Diana Fletcher www.thoughtsbydiana.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This guy really knows how to tell a story, many great ones here and very good songwriting too. The arrangements are sparse but fit the songs. As for singing, Cohen really only screws that up on the opening track, the rest I liked. He still has a nice voice here which had not yet been trashed by heavy smoking and drinking.
    Best story: "Story of Isaac" Best track: "Lady Midnight"

    ReplyDelete