Wednesday, February 15, 2012

174. Hot Rats

Hot Rats
Frank Zappa
1969

Tracks
1. Peaches En Regalia
2. Willie The Pimp
3. Son Of Mr Green Genes
4. Little Umbrellas
5. Gumbo Variations
6. It Must Be A Camel



WE ARE DONE WITH THE SIXTIES!

Okay, so I am having a phenomenal day.  The kind of day that I will remember.  It even inspired me to have a spontaneous dance party during the album.  Seriously.  That was something that no one wants to see, ever.  Look at me; getting along with Frank Zappa.  It is like if Joan Crawford and Bette Davis made up and were happy for each other's career.



I need to settle myself down to write this review though I can't stop smiling.  Frank Zappa realized that he sucked and decided to go in a different direction with jazz.  And you know what?  It was awesome.  You don't even have to hear his voice!


Now, I know that my review may be slightly colored by the amazing mood I am in.  But isn't that what music is all about?  I like the idea that I am putting a little bit of myself into each listen and later I can go back to an ordinary album and remember different parts of my life.  So I will remember this album as being the best damn album there is!

RATING: 5/5




4 comments:

  1. Oh come on .. you are having a laugh . You knew I'd started to at least browse through your alum list .. I'm already well impressed to see strong likes for Neil Young and incarnations thereof .. The Who, Pink Floyd .. but Frank Zappa?
    Out of interest .. is his album called simply ( ' ) in this list? Because I love that one ...
    Oh, probably goes without saying.. but .. yes .. seen him too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh come on .. you are having a laugh . You knew I'd started to at least browse through your alum list .. I'm already well impressed to see strong likes for Neil Young and incarnations thereof .. The Who, Pink Floyd .. but Frank Zappa?
    Out of interest .. is his album called simply ( ' ) in this list? Because I love that one ...
    Oh, probably goes without saying.. but .. yes .. seen him too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha give me a break on stuff from five years ago. It's hard to defend our younger selves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sure throw a lot of sounds at you, in an enjoyable way. However this isn't as weird/avant or daring as one might expect from Frank Zappa. The final track "It Must Be a Camel" is more adventurous and unpredictable, I wouldn't have minded a bit more of that.

    ReplyDelete