Saturday, February 11, 2012

156. The Band

The Band
The Band
1969

Tracks
1. Across The Great Divide
2. Rag Mama Rag
3. Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
4. When You Awake
5. Up On Cripple Creek
6. Whispering Pines
7. Jemima Surrender
8. Rockin' Chair
9. Lookout Cleveland 
10. Jawbone
11. Unfaithful Servant
12. King Harvest (Has Surely Come)



Amanda: This is truly a great and fun album.  The kind that I just wanted to sit back in my chair and let soak in, which is rare for me.  I looked back at my review of the previous Band album and it seems I was impressed by I didn't rush to iTunes like I did with this one.  The songs are fun and bluesy, with a wee bit of country in there.  The voices were great and I was relieved that every song was mostly lyrics; I was getting sick of the purely instrumentals tracks I have been listening to lately.  Lots of fun, especially "Up On Cripple Creek".


RATING: 5/5

1 comment:

  1. I'd say their sound is more refined on this one. The music is full of nuance and detail, without feeling crowded. And they're the most in sync band I've heard. As good as this is, they would develop some of these songs on the road and make them even better. "King Harvest" sounds great on Rock of Ages with the added horn section.

    ReplyDelete