Thursday, January 28, 2016

416. Siembra

Siembra
Willie Colon and Ruben Blades
1978














Tracks
1. Plastico
2. Buscando Guayaba
3. Pedro Navaja
4. Maria Lionza
5. Ojos
6. Dime
7. Siembra


I asked my sister after listening to this album if she would ever be interested in learning how to salsa.  I was quite alarmed when she told me that she already knew how.  Is that a skill that many people have?  I can't even dance normally.

This is a salsa album, which I don't think you are supposed to enjoy listening to alone at night in your bedroom.  You are supposed to enjoy this on the dance floor, a thing I am rather incapable of doing.  Parts of all this album still managed to interesting.  I mean, I don't speak Spanish but I did catch a small tribute to West Side Story, a sure way to win me over.

Still, what is with the Anne Geddes cover?  It didn't remotely fit the tone.  Can you be ironic with salsa music?

RATING: 3/5

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weeee, finally one in Spanish! The album is fun and the lyrics are very good. Although the jury is still out on the ultimate objectification (fruitification?) of women in "Buscando Guayaba" (Looking for Guava). There is a small segment of that song where the singer says "The guitarist didn't come so you will have to stand a 'voice solo'" and then he imitates a guitar solo with the voice. It's hilarious!

    Btw, I can't dance for dear life either.

    ReplyDelete