Wednesday, January 20, 2016

410. One Nation Under a Groove

One Nation Under a Groove
Funkadelic
1978














Tracks
1. One Nation Under a Groove
2. Groovallegiance
3. Who Says A Funk Band Can't Play Rock
4. Promentalshitbackwashpsychosis Enema Squad (The Doo-Doo Chasers)
5. Into You
6. Cholly (Funk Getting Ready to Roll)


Oh Funkadelic.  I was almost going to give this album a good review.  I was going to write about how scared I was about funk music and how their music made me see the light blah blah blah.  Then "Promentalshitbackwashpsychosis Enema Squad" came on, bumping this album from a 4 star to a 2 star rating.  And I am being generous.

I wish one song didn't ruin an entire album for me so much.  After all, the other songs were  quite enjoyable.  "One Nation Under a Groove" actually wasn't as corny as I thought it would be and "Into You" was surprisingly sweet.  So why did they have to ruin it for that song?  For those of you can't infer anything to save your lives, "Promentalshitbackwashpsychosis Enema Squad" is gratuitous scatological song that sounds like it was taken off the "Gargantua and Pantagruel: The Musical" soundtrack.

Surprisingly enough, I played this album while my sister and I were working and she enjoyed it.  She never enjoys any of these albums.  I don't think she was really listening to the lyrics and I didn't have the heart to enlighten her on their meaning.  It was a decent album; it's a pity that one song shit all over it.

RATING: 2/5

2 comments:

  1. "The world is a toll-free toilet..."
    Ok, time to shift my brain from English to Spanish mode.

    ReplyDelete